HEALTH SAVINGS ACCOUNT (HSA)
You're entitled to a healthy, happy life. But with the rising costs of healthcare, paying for it has gotten tougher than ever. Supplement your high deductible health plan (HDHP) with this interest bearing account.
An HSA offers you a better way to pay for qualified medical expenses—such as medical, dental, medications, and hospital costs— so that when you need to go to the doctor or pay for a prescription, you've got the funds to cover it.
- Save for future medical expenses
- Interest bearing account
- Tiered rates maximize earnings
- Use funds for qualified medical expenses
- Available for individual ownership only
- $3 monthly fee waived if average daily balance of $500 is maintained
- Easy access to funds by check, check card, and online
- Possible tax advantages
- You decide when and how much to deposit*
- Transferable, even if you change jobs, medical coverage, retire, or become unemployed
- No "use it or lose it" rule
- Account balances carry over from year to year
- Free Internet Connect Online Banking with bill pay
- Convenient automatic deposits from other Consumers accounts
- Interest calculated daily, compounded and paid monthly
- FDIC insured
- $50 deposit to open
*Up to maximum allowed by law.
In order to qualify for an HSA, you must:
- Be under age 65
- Have coverage through a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)
- Have no other first-dollar medical coverage
- Not have any other coverage through health insurance that is not an HDHP
- Not be currently enrolled in Medicare
- Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return
- More Information
- Rollovers and transfers are not subject to contribution limits.
- Individuals age 55 and over are eligible for an additional "catch-up" contribution.
- Any amounts used for purposes other than to pay for "qualified medical expenses" are taxable as income and subject to an additional tax penalty.
- Several tax penalties may apply to various HSA transactions, and are in addition to any federal, state, or local taxes.